Dec 05 2015

Winston ate Chocolate Covered Coffee Beans! | Winslow Animal Hospital Dog & Cat

Poor Winston had a bad experience with chocolate covered coffee beans! The 9-year-old dog got his paws on the tasty treat and was promptly brought to Winslow Animal Hospital for treatment. Coffee beans have a lot of caffeine, which is toxic for dogs. Chocolate also has caffeine, as well as a cousin-chemical called theobromine, which is even more toxic for dogs! While our bodies can tolerate these chemicals in the amounts that they are found in these foods, dogs and cats do not tolerate them as well. Many of us have had experiences of pets getting chocolate or other foods they are not supposed to eat – after all, that sweet taste and smell are practically calling our dogs by name!

Winston was treated and is doing well now.

As Pet-Parents, it is important we be vigilant about protecting our dogs and cats. It is sometimes very easy for them to find things to eat that could be harmful. This is doubly true with holidays coming up! There will likely be more people in and out of the home who could potentially leave chocolate or other toxic foods in an area that is accessible to pets.

If you suspect your pet has ingested foods or other chemicals that may be harmful, call us at 856-875-1323 or one of these pet poison helplines:

  • Pet Poison Helpline 855-764-7661 ($49 per incident fee applies)
  • ASPCA Animal Poison Control HelplineĀ (888) 426-4435. (A $65 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card.)

2015-12-01 01.50.46


LifeLearn Admin | Pet Health, Pet Stories, Tips, What's New at Winslow Animal Hospital!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *