How much do you know about dog and cat dental health? By 3 years old, about 75% of pets have some form of dental disease!
5 Signs of Dental Disease
- Tartar on the teeth and red gums
- Bleeding from the mouth
- Bad breath
- Facial swelling and difficulty eating
- Pawing at the mouth
Steps to Brushing Teeth
- Keep sessions short
- Begin when pet is calm
- Allow the pet to taste the pet toothpaste
- Spend several sessions gently massaging the outside of the mouth
- Wrap gauze on your finger, then gently rub the teeth. Reward with a taste of pet toothpaste
- Do not force the pet’s mouth open
- Wrap gauze on your finger or get a pet toothbrush, apply toothpaste, and rub outer surface of the teeth. Begin with the large molars in the back.
- Do not attempt to brush the inside of the teeth.