Winslow Animal Hospital is excited to announce that we now have a new flea and tick preventative product available – NexGard.
NexGard (afoxolaner) is the first and only soft, beef-flavored chew that kills BOTH fleas and American dog ticks. It combines a new active ingredient with a new form to provide FDA-approved, prescription-only protection that:
- Kills fleas fast, before they can lay eggs
- Prevents flea infestations
- Comes in a soft, beef-flavored chewable
- Kills American dog ticks
- Lasts for a full month
- Is approved for puppies 8 weeks and older and at least 4 pounds
How does it work?
The drug, afoxolaner, works by binding to flea and tick nerve cell chloride channels. As a result, the central nervous system becomes hyper-excited and kills the fleas and ticks. The chloride channels of these nasty pests are much more sensitive to afoxolaner than those of mammals.
What’s so great about NexGard?
There are other products that kill fleas and ticks, but NexGard is the first and only, prescription-only soft, beef-flavored chew that kills fleas AND ticks. In some cases, products that have to be put on the skin are a problem. Giving an oral chew is a great way to provide protection for dogs that might have skin issues or are difficult to apply a topical product to.
Can my dog go swimming or get a bath after taking NexGard?
Absolutely! This is a huge advantage of using an oral flea and tick preventative in stead of a topical. If you bathe your dog frequently, NexGard may be for you.
Do I have to give it with food?
Nope! Studies have shown no difference in the amount of afoxolaner in the blood between dogs that were fed before being given NexGard and those that were not.
Does my dog need a prescription?
What about beef allergies?
Though the chewables have beef flavoring that dogs love, they are vegetable-based, meat-less chews that won’t trigger beef allergies.
Can I give NexGard to my cat?
No, NexGard is designed for dogs.
Benefits of NexGard
- Easy to administer. For some dogs, topical products may be less than ideal due to skin problems, frequent bathing or swimming, or for other reasons. An oral tablet is a great solution.
- Tasty, meat-less, beef-flavored chew. Dogs love it for its flavor, but NexGard will not trigger beef allergies, since it is vegetable-based.
- Safe and effective. Studies have shown NexGard to be safe and reliable for killing fleas and ticks on dogs.