Happy International Assistance Dog Week!
Every year, International Assistance Dog Week starts with the first Sunday in August. This year’s dates are August 3-9. The goals are to:
- Recognize and honor hardworking assistance dogs
- Raise awareness of assistance dogs
- Educate the public about the work these specially trained animals perform
- Honor the puppy raisers and trainers of assistance dogs
- Recognize heroic deeds performed by assistance dogs in our communities
Assistance dogs change the lives of their human partners with physical and mental disabilities by fulfilling the role of companion, helper, aide, best friend and member of the family. International Assistant Dog Week was established thanks to the efforts of Marcie Davis, a woman who has been paraplegic and a partner to a service dog for many years. Davis is the author of Working Like Dogs: The Service Dog Guidebook.