A blog post went viral on social media, claiming that ice water is dangerous and causes bloat, a very dangerous condition in which the stomach can swell so much it flips. Bloat is more common in large dogs, though it is not fully understood. It can be caused by excessive food or gas in the stomach. Risk of bloat increases when a dog eats very quickly and all in one meal, rather than having two smaller meals during the day.
Putting ice in your dog’s water is not thought to be dangerous, and can be cool and refreshing in the summer. Heat stroke can be life-threatening, however, so make sure you’re prepared if your pet begins to overheat!