Peanut Butter and Your Dog | Winslow Animal Hospital Dog & Cat


Peanut butter is a classic treat to give your pooch. Most dogs go crazy for this delicious snack – it’s even great for encouraging them to take medication. But is peanut butter actually healthy for your dog? How much is too much? Here is what you need to know about feeding your furry friend peanut butter.

Peanut Butter is Healthy…

There are actually nutrients in peanut butter that make it healthy for your dog. This includes,

  • Vitamin B
  • Niacin
  • Vitamin E
  • Heart healthy fats
  • Protein

In Moderation.

The high amounts of fat in peanut butter means that too much can lead to pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas)  and/or obesity. Your dog should only be given about 1/2 Tablespoon to 2 Tablespoons a day depending on the size of your furry friend. Keep in mind that only 10% of their diet should be treats.

If you need help figuring out how much peanut butter is a healthy amount for your pet, don’t hesitate to ask your veterinarian. They are there to help you keep your furry friend healthy!

Best Type?

The general recommendation is to stick with a creamy peanut butter, especially with smaller dogs. Homemade peanut butters are a great way to go since it will be low in sodium and sugar.

Always be sure to read the ingredients carefully no matter what store bought peanut butter you get. Especially when looking at peanut butters that say “no artificial sweeteners” or “all natural,” you need to be on the look out for an ingredient called Xylitol.

Watch out for Xylitol!

Xylitol can be found in some store bought peanut butters, especially “artificial sugar free” types. While safe for human consumption, for your pup it’s an extremely dangerous poison that dramatically lowers their blood sugar. It must be avoided no matter what.

If you think your dog might have ingested Xylitol watch for these symptoms:

  • Staggering
  • Disorientation
  • Collapsing
  • Seizures 

Call your vet immediately if Xylitol has been ingested.


Peanut butter is a great treat, just make sure to look at ingredients and give it to them in moderation!

Leave a Reply